Sunday 29 January 2017

Forced into using the "F" Word Again


I have a confession to make, I am using the word "F" word again.

I was one of the first to insist we stop using the word 'Fusion' when Oracle stopped calling their Cloud apps Fusion. In fact at many meetings I instigated a fine for anyone using the word; money collected to pay for the coffees.

Within Oracle I still heard it though and that was frustrating, the worst offenders were Oracle support. The Cloud applications team in Oracle Support are called FAST, not as I first suspected a reference to their speed, but an acronym for Fusion Applications Support Team.

I thought it was getting through to most people, I heard it less and less. Within UKOUG we were very careful to talk about cloud applications and in my own organisation it was changed wherever possible. I started all my presentations with a simple slide:



Then mid 2016 all the confusion returned, as the term Cloud Applications has again morphed. I found myself having to say 'the applications previously known as Fusion' to make sure there was no confusion!

Oracle announced their strategy to encourage all on premise applications users, E Business Suite, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards etc to take their installations and run them on IaaS, Oracle Managed Cloud Service. I am not against this strategy, although I wish it was portrayed more as an option rather than the next step, in fact prior to Oracle releasing an IaaS offering for apps, many of their customers had successfully migrated their applications to run on other third party IaaS offerings.

What I am frustrated by is that I have to spell out in every conversation what I am referring to. I raised a call with Oracle about a Cloud Apps problem and the support analyst kept asking me what version of EBS I was on. I was blinkered and couldn't understand why he couldn't accept of I was using cloud apps and ended up being quite confrontational, so much so he got his supervisor to ring me. I said why couldn't the analyst understand I wasn't using EBS when I kept saying I was using Cloud Apps. He promptly gave me a lecture on the ability to run EBS on IaaS and that that was what they called Cloud Apps.

Then last week I contacted a partner who had an EBS technical solution and asked if they had a Cloud offering or plans for one, and this was their response:

If the customer is just hosted by Oracle OMCS or another hosting provider, we can perform the project as per usual.  It just involves additional steps with the hosting provider.  If you are asking about using our software on the Oracle Cloud (Fusion) product, that would not work due to the database access required for our “magic” to happen.   Please clarify the implementation
I had stumbled over the same obstacle.

So if you hear me use the "F" word, don't condone me, it's all in the name of clarity.





4 comments:

Tim... said...

This whole area is a mine field now. I've spoken to several people who are now convinced that "the applications formerly known as Fusion Apps" are simply EBS running on Oracle Cloud because they have been confused by the marketing message.

Cheers

Tim...

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Maybe we have to name them ConFusion Apps... ;)

Regards,
Martien

Anonymous said...

Debra,

Is it true to say that ALL Oracle packaged application solutions now fall under the name 'Cloud Applications'?
(including EBS, JDE, etc)

If so, are all Oracle Cloud Applications available on-premise, private cloud (hosted) and public cloud?


You can still purchase Oracle E-Business Suite on-premise (pricelist June 2017
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/applications-price-list-070574.pdf - no mention of the word Cloud)


The more I think I understand the jargon the more confused I get!

Debra Lilley said...

yes it is confusing I know. My post was written before the ability to run what I call the 'traditional apps', EBS, JDE, PeopleSoft, on Oracle cloud platforms.

These are NOT cloud apps, but can be run on a cloud platform. probably easier to understand that these are perpetual licensing, i.e. you pay once plus annual support as you understood from the price list. Cloud applications are a subscription.

Hope that helps